In the catalog business, it always pays to closely monitor what’s happening at the United States Postal Service (USPS). There are several key items to be aware of for 2013.
USPS rate increases effective Jan. 27, 2013
New rates are scheduled to take effect on Jan. 27, 2013, at 12:01 a.m. Rates will increase in one key catalog category: Standard Flats rates. The rate increase for Standard Flats is 2.617 percent.
Full-service technology credits available
Because catalogers already take advantage of many of the interconnections between print and technology media, they can look forward to benefitting from the USPS Full-Service Technology credit.
Beginning June 2013, a one-time credit will be available for a qualified business location’s Customer Registration ID (CRID), which can be redeemed as a postage credit until June 2014. The goal is to encourage mailers to convert to Full-Service. This credit is intended to help offset the investment required to implement the necessary hardware and software infrastructure changes to support Full-Service mailings.
Dingley Press customers, of course, are already eligible for this credit because The Dingley Press is full-service qualified. The actual amount of the credit is determined by the number of mailings. Up to $5000 in postage credit will be available. Talk to your Dingley Press representative to find out how you can receive the credit.
2013 mailing services promotions calendar
In the coming year, you’ll be able to prepare for mail promotions earlier than ever. The USPS has published a calendar that includes six planned promotions designed to generate continued interest in the various uses and benefits of mobile barcodes in direct mail, as well as provide opportunities to help marketers be more successful with traditional integrated marketing campaigns.
The promotions are primarily designed to encourage the use of technology.
- March 1 – April 30: Mobile Coupon/Click-to-Call — provides an upfront postage discount for those who integrate mail with mobile technology
- April 1 – June 30: Earned Value Reply Mail — gives customers a postage credit for each returned First-Class Mail Business Reply and Courtesy Reply envelope
- Aug. 1 – Sept. 30: Emerging Technologies — offers an upfront postage discount to customers who integrate specific emerging technologies into their mail campaigns
- Beginning May 1: Product Samples — an upfront postage discount on qualifying mail that contains product samples
- Beginning June 15: Picture Permit — expected to waive the Picture Permit fee for eligible customers mailing First-Class and/or Standard letters and cards
- Nov. 1 – Dec. 31: Mobile Buy-It-Now — an upfront postage discount designed to encourage consumer interaction and engagement with mail and mobile technology
Catalogers can work with The Dingley Press to take advantage of the mailing promotions that apply to them throughout the year.
For ongoing details about mail processing promotions, contact your Dingley Press representative